Thursday, September 15, 2011

Where your story began

"You have four years to be irresponsible here. Relax. Work is for people with jobs. You’ll never remember class time, but you’ll remember time you wasted hanging out with your friends. So, stay out late. Go out on a Tuesday with your friends when you have a paper due Wednesday. Spend money you don’t have. Drink ‘til sunrise. The work never ends, but college does…" Tom Petty

I always start to feel very reminiscent about college this time of year. I think it has something to do with going back to college to watch football games and all the upcoming things that happen in the fall, like OSU homecoming(which is the greatest homecoming on earth btw)

I will get back to that in a minute.

I was on good ol facebook the other day, just wasting time when I saw a status from a girl I know who is a freshman at OSU. She did a countdown on how many days she has left for college and she mentioned how she is tired of it already.

I, of course, immediately commented and told her not to waste that time away and how as an old lady I am constantly wishing to go back to the days of college. That she needs to take it all in and enjoy every single second of it, because believe me time goes by so fast.

Right after that comment I got an email from my Alma mater about our upcoming homecoming celebration. See if you are familiar at all with Oklahoma State University, then you know that we, hands down have the BEST homecoming celebration there is. Where else does the entire town shut down and close off streets for thousands upon thousand of students, alumni, parents, children, people from all over just to walk the streets, look at house decks and just to have the overall experience in the sea of orange that is Stillwater.

As homecoming approaches I will go into more detail of what a house deck is. For now, I will just tell you that as a former sorority girl, house decks are not possible without us. We "pomp" tissue paper into chicken wire and make basically a gigantic float that doesn't float but is displayed in front of the partnering fraternity. It's madness and it's all you do the entire fall semester.

Every year homecoming has a theme and this year's theme is "Where your story began." I couldn't think of a more fitting theme this year. I truly believe that college is where most stories began, whether it's where you met your now husband(that wasn't the case for me), your bestest friends(that was the case for me), you found yourself, who you wanted to be...the beginning of your story.

As I watched this video clip, I am not gonna lie...I got a little teary eyed just thinking of all the memories I made there. It really was the best place. In this video you will notice girls "pomping" and you will see house decks.


Where did you story began?

I know where mine began, the greatest place on earth. I am sure I will tell you more about my story as homecoming gets closer.





Photobucket

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goosebumps. Homecoming in Stillwater is the BEST.

-Honey

Madison's Mommy said...

Best.Post.Ever! Homecoming in Stillwater is my favorite "holiday!"

XOXO

Tiffany said...

Isn't this theme perfect! I have never bought a homecoming shirt befroe, But I sure as heck may buy one this year because I love it so darn much! It was where our story began---the happiest place on earth! :)

~Miss Football