Did y'all know that July is national blueberry month??
I love me some blueberries. Blueberry pancakes, blueberry muffins, blueberry crumbles...yum yum yum.
In fact I love anything berry. Strawberry, raspberry, blackberry, cherry berry( I realize this is a frozen yogurt place, but still).
Thought I would share with y'all a healthy Blueberry recipe. Blueberries are super good for you too, they are full of antioxidants, only 80 calories for a cup of blueberries(fat free btw), they are packed with vitamin C, fiber, and manganese(which helps with your bones).
I know these things, I have a bachelor's degree in Nutrition ; )
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons butter or stick margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (flour through salt) in a medium bowl. Stir in blueberries; make a well in center of mixture. Combine buttermilk, butter, rind, and egg; stir well with a whisk. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moist.
- Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray; sprinkle evenly with 1 tablespoon sugar. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove muffins from pans immediately; place on a wire rack.
Amount per serving
Calories from fat: 22%
Saturated fat: 2.2g
Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g