Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Who knew you could learn about life over margaritas

I have this standing date of margaritas with a 70 year old man. That sentence probably sounds a little crazy, so let me explain. I work at a Physical Therapy clinic and you get to the point where you see the same patients often. This particular man has been a patient of ours for multiple injuries, so we have seen him for quite some time and when you see a person three days a week for months on end, they become sort of like family.

In my case, he has become like a grandpa figure, with whom I have margaritas with. It's actually one of my favorite things to look forward too. In fact, because my dating life has been fairly non-existent here lately...it's the only date night I have to look forward too...insert sad moment here...my dating life consists of margaritas with a 70 year old man.

Life gets busy and this and that,and we haven't been able to have a margarita date in a long time, so today he came into work with coffee and for the last hour we have chatted about life, love, politics, Vietnam war, basset hounds, cattle, boys who are dumb and just anything and everything under the sun.

I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, you know those mornings where nothing looks right, your hair is a hot mess, you can't find anything to wear, you spill the coffee everywhere, you know...one of those mornings. Somehow after chatting with him, everything seems much better.

I don't understand it when people talk about generation gaps. Yes, clearly there is an age difference, and he might not understand me when I say certain things, like "WTF" or things like that. We are all the same, he has been through the same problems I go through, he has experienced more than I can ever imagine...and I learn from just hearing his stories.

I guess until that right southern gentlemen guy comes along who opens doors for ladies, loves Jesus and his momma, knows a good college football team when he sees one(Oklahoma State, of course), and can two-step with the best of them....you can find me having margaritas on a Friday night with my 70 year old date.


Photobucket

3 comments:

Jodie said...

Cute post!

Do you have a button? I would like to put you on my blog, because I adore you!! :)

Tiffany said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Old people are my favorite people. You're learning more and probably having more fun with this guy than some moron guy our age anyway! :)

~Miss Football

Cigar Heiress said...

I think that is really special. It's amazing what we can learn. I used to volunteer at a nursing home n college. So many words of wisdom to be had!