Monday, February 28, 2011

Sometimes, I feel my life is like an episode of "I love Lucy"

So, about the title of my blog today. Let me explain. My washing machine has been giving me trouble lately. Leaking just a little bit of water. So, the handy independent girl that I am, I took matters into my own hands. First, as any independent girl would do. I called my mom. Then I got on top of the washing machine and shined my flashlight on the backside of it to make sure all hoses were hooked up properly and water wasn't leaking any where. Everything looked intact. So far so good. Then I looked underneath the washer and there it was-- the water leak. At this point, I had used up all my resources...I sure as heck didn't know how to fix a water leak from under the washing machine. So, I just put a towel down and washed laundry on a cycle that didn't use much water. Problem solved, right? Apparently not.

Yesterday, I started cleaning house, started a load of laundry...the water ran, everything looked fine. Shut the laundry room door and began cleaning my kitchen. Usually I can hear the washer a slight bit. I heard nothing. Went to the laundry room. It stopped working. I turned the nob to about every function there was and nothing was working. Then, I heard a like pop noise and next thing I know I have water squirting through the top of the washer and a flood of soapy suds coming out from the bottom. I literally have like 2 inches of water just sitting on the floor starting to seep into the hallway and the carpet...I am dropping down towel after towel trying to soak it up, the dogs are coming in trying to lick the soapy water, I am yelling at them, picking up everything so it won't get wet and calling my mom asking her what I do.

Not the nice Sunday afternoon I was looking forward too. Needless to say, I now have no working washer, my clothes are still dirty; therefore I have no work clothes, I have towels hanging up in my garage because they were to drenched to just put in the dryer. Don't you wish your Sunday was like mine?

This reminds of a similar situation I had in college.

Why do these things only happen to me?

When I was in college, my best friend and I were living in an apartment. D had left me a post-it in the bathroom saying that she tried to do the dishes but something was wrong with the dishwasher. Again, being the savvy gal that I am, I thought for sure I could fix it. I look in the dishwasher and notice this tube like structure came loose, I thought that obviously was the problem so I screwed it back on. Proceeded to load the dishwasher and start it. I go on about my merry way doing homework I am sure : ) next thing I know... water literally starts shooting straight up at the ceiling. Like freakin Old Faithful. It doesn't dawn on me to stop the dishwasher or to turn off the water valve...no, I grab big, huge bowls or whatever I can find to catch the water and then pour back into the sink...when clearly this is a never-ending cycle. This went on for about 10 minutes when I realized I am not solving the problem but adding to it. I then turned the water valve off and still do this day, I have no idea what caused it. Doing dishes after that just took on a whole other excitement...you just never knew if it would explode again.

See...my life sometimes can be an episode of I Love Lucy...now I just need my Ricky Ricardo.

Photobucket

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

No wonder we didn't talk yesterday! Stupid washer!

angie on maui said...

:)

The vision I have in my head of you sopping up water from your washing machine AND your dishwasher has me laughing. I'm sorry - I know I shouldn't, but it's cute. I think we've all been defeated by domestic appliances at one time or another!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for making my Monday better with stories of these adventures. :)

-Honey

mom said...

I remember the dishwasher thing and it still makes me laugh. It was so funny when you called and asked what to do.

RIP washer machine....

mom said...

I remember the dishwasher thing and it still makes me laugh. It was so funny when you called and asked what to do.

RIP washer machine....